This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Friday, January 20, 2017

DC Answer to a Query



And yes - why am I doing this? Good question. Actually I think all this is pointless, just a way to say hello. I agree we have to erase our past - it is truly nothing. I like the Diamond Sutra where Buddha sort of erases everything he says after he says it.  I do get a lot of people telling me that they get inspired by reading about others on the path including a lot of info surely off the path, Some say they get more from them than the lectures. Been posting a Suzuki lecture excerpt six days a week for a few years and there some who like that. But I don't really think about it. Sort of like making a big sculpture. The way I see it, everything is in the past, some seeming to be further in the past, but really it's all just like a cloud floating by and all there at once, the past another name for phenomena.


It not only will not exist soon, it never really did. I like Shakespeare - it's a tale told by an idiot, much ado about nothing. I do Vipassana a lot which can entail naming what one is aware of till one isn't diverted by the thought stream. This really helps to break the hold of monkey mind which is following what one thinks is important. Ha ha. Everything I name like the cup in my hand is just an image in the past like looking at the light of a star that's already dead. Once I spent all night cleaning a home in Boulder of Bob Halpern's that was going to be torn down the next day. Everything we do I see as expressing oblivion, playing in our great collective dream. I think the best thing to do may be to be involved with growing plants to feed people, nature the best teacher. Mayumi's gotten into that. She asked me to come work on her farm and I said only if I can wash dishes. Maybe that should be the next venture - the farming - I already do enough dishes. I do like to keep physically active. I'll wrap everything up as quickly as I can so that it will be in good shape for it's disappearance first. But wait, that's what I've been doing for a few decades. Well, doesn't mean it can't by sealed and delivered soon.